dhaba

Paperwork required for submitting taxes through mail

I used turbotax for my 2020 taxes but was unable to get the tax return accepted due to a supposed AGI matching error. I have tried to print my documents from turbotax so that I could use standard mail. I used the option to print only the necessary documents needed for  submission to the IRS. My problem is it has only printed form 1040 and Schedule 1 for form 1040. I am under the impression those are not the only documents I actually need. For instance W-2s which I filled out within turbotax have not printed. Am I correct in the assumption that I need to attach these to the front of form 1040? How do I confirm I actually have all of the necessary documents and get them printed from turbotax. I do not see any other printing options. 

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you mail the return, then you attach the statements.

However, you do not print the statements out from within TurboTax. Rather, you should already have your own copies (e.g., W-2 from your employer).

TurboTax never has copies of your W-2's or 1099's.   If you imported the data, then all TT has is that data; TT does not have actual images of the documents that you can print.   You have to get copies of the W-2's etc from your employer yourself.   Or.....if you were having trouble e-filing because of AGI you should try using zero as your AGI.   Often that works to let you e-file.

If you still choose to file by mail--

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Mailed returns are taking six to nine months to be processed by the IRS so do not expect quick results.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Oh...I just noticed you are asking about a 2020 return.  E-filing is not an option at all for 2020.   E-filing for 2020 returns is permanently closed, so if you are filing a 2020 return it must be filed by mail.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2561916-how-can-i-get-a-copy-of-my-w-2

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**