W-4 form updates

Hi. I have typically for the previous six years owed about $3000 Fed and got a State Refund of about $2000. Last year I got a pretty sizable bonus and I owed Fed $7000 and State $2000. I would like to avoid owing that much at tax time, but there is no simple way (like the good old days) to tell them to withhold an additional $200 / check or something similar...and the W-4 is way different than it used to be. Is there an easy solution to just withhold additional money, or do I have to start doing all the calculations...

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi tedneher,  Yes it can be tricky finding that sweet spot of withholdings to not owe tax and not receive too large of a refund!  The new Form W-4 is different, but there is a W-4 Calculator that will take you step-by-step  through the worksheet,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.  Always a good idea to compare your 2021 total tax on your tax return with your year-to-date federal withholdings on your most recent paystub.

You can also include an Additional Withholding in Step 4 (c) – Extra Withholdings – put an amount here to be withheld
each pay period.

I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thanks for confirming my fears! I was hoping not to have to go through the calculator AND keep an eye on my withholdings to make sure it was what I intended.