Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi Elisemom,  Congratulations on your little one!  .  It can be a major tax event, too.   As of today, for tax year 2022, the Child Tax Credit has reverted to $2,000 per child dependent 16 and younger, with $1500 being refundable.


You can submit a new Form W-4 with the dependent, which will decrease your tax withholdings and have more in your paycheck.  There is a W-4 Calculator that takes you step-by-step through the worksheet,


Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.  It's always a good idea to compare your 2021 total tax on your tax return to the year-to-date federal tax withholdings on your most recent paycheck.  If you find not enough is being withheld, then submit another Form W-4 without the dependent to revert back to a higher withholdings.


I hope this is helpful!


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"