How to withhold NC state tax if my employer in TX

My permanent address is in NC, my employer is in TX. TX does not have state tax. How can I ask for withhold NC tax for TX employer? Thanks

melj1
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Your employer is required to withhold state (and in some cases, local) income taxes that you reside in. You need to inform your employer that you live in North Carolina. If the employer does not withhold North Carolina taxes on your wages, when you file your annual return in your state, that state will contact your employer to find out why they didn't withhold any taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

Hi kjkjzhang,

Based on your description,  you are a full year NC resident, hence need to report all income earned while a full year NC resident.

Your TX employer may not have registered to collect and remit NC income tax, so you need to manage NC tax liability on your own.

North Carolina Department of Revenue - Estimated Income Tax

https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax/estimated-income-tax

You can remit  via Form NC-40, Individual Estimated Income Tax online or pay by check. In general, North Caroline has a flat tax rate of 5.75%.

Hope the above helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks a lot!

this really helps. Yes, I have been paying NC tax quarterly by using NC40 form on my own since 2022. Again thanks.

kjkjzhang