Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Help

What if I can't pay my taxes due to financial hardship or a disaster?

If you're unable to pay off your federal taxes due to a serious illness, natural disaster, and other hardship, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or visit your local IRS office as soon as you can to explain your situation.

The IRS will work with you to come up with a solution.

For outstanding state taxes, contact your state tax agency to explore alternative payment options.

Whatever you do, don't ignore the problem, hoping it'll go away. It won't. The sooner you address it, the easier it will be to resolve.

See also the IRS video series Owe Taxes? Understanding IRS Collection Efforts.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings