turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Documents

I gave/give my client(s) a W-9 at the beginning of a contract for the freelance/contract work I do for them.

What documentation do I need to submit when doing my taxes? And do I need to request this documentation from them, or will they send it automatically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Tax Documents

If client is a business, they should be issuing you a 1099-NEC if they paid you more than $600.  These don't need to be mailed until January 31, so you need to wait a few days before filing your return.  Clients who are individuals do not have to issue a 1099, but they are allowed to do so voluntarily (most people don't). 

You should have your own reliable business records of income and expenses, and report all your income from all your clients, even if some clients don't issue a 1099-NEC. 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Tax Documents

If you are paid as a freelancer, independent contractor or not as an employee of a third party business, you will receive a 1099-NEC form. You can expect to receive this form from a business that paid you $600 or more for nonemployee compensation and you should receive the form by January 31.

The income will be reported as Self Employment Income. You need to upgrade to Turbo Tax Self-Employed (Online) or TurboTax Home & Business (desktop).

To report the income on your return:

• Select  Federal  from the left menu.
  • Go to Wages and Income then select Income and Expenses.
  • Go to Self-employment income and expenses and click start. you'll be asked some general questions about your business. After you answer them, you’ll be taken to enter your Income and Expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies