turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Credt

As an American retired in the Philippines and drawing SS will I be able to receive the entire 3,000 credit when I file my return for 2021. I will have no tax liability.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Tax Credt

What $3,000 credit? Do you only get Social Security?

Tax Credt

The same one some people have been receiving every month up to 50% of the 3,000 for kids over a certain age. I receive SS and a pension but never owe money.

Tax Credt

Do you have dependent children under the age of 18 who are US citizens or US residents which have a Social Security number or ITIN issued by the IRS?

Tax Credt

Yes, my son lives with me here in the Philippines and is a US citizen with a SS number and passport. We live here full time

Tax Credt

@mark101929 wrote:

Yes, my son lives with me here in the Philippines and is a US citizen with a SS number and passport. We live here full time

If he is under the age of 18 in 2021 then you only need to enter him as your dependent on the 2021 federal tax return so that you will be eligible for the Child Tax Credit.

Tax Credt

You didn't answer my question. I live in the Philippines full time with my 8yr old son. Will I be eligible for the 3,000 cash refund when I file my 2021 tax return even though I'm living over seas permanently.

Tax Credt

@mark101929 wrote:

You didn't answer my question. I live in the Philippines full time with my 8yr old son. Will I be eligible for the 3,000 cash refund when I file my 2021 tax return even though I'm living over seas permanently.

Where you live is not relevant.  If you have a 8 year old dependent child on your 2021 tax return you will be eligible for the Child Tax Credit of $3,000 on your federal tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies