turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hol67
Returning Member

RMD

I inherited IRAs from my father. Even though I am under 72 years of age, I was required to take an RMD in 2020 and 2021. My investment company made an error by failing to distribute my 2020 RMD in 2020. Therefore, I had to receive both 2020 and 2021 RMD in 2021. Will I incur a penalty when I file my 2021 taxes for not claiming the 2020 RMD in 2020 due to my investment company’s error? Also would I have to amend my 2020 return to reflect the 2020 RMD OR do I claim the 2020 and the 2021 RMDs on my 2021 return since that is the year I received the funds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

RMD

Fortunately, the CARES act suspended the RMD requirement for 2020, so you won't be penalized.  You simply have two withdrawals in 2021, and you will pay regular income tax on them.

(Normally, yes, there would be a penalty for missing an RMD.  You would not amend your prior return, because you only report what happened in that year on that year's return.  You would report the missing RMD in the year you learned about it and calculate the penalty, but you can request a waiver of the penalty for cause, on a special form that may require you to file by mail instead of e-filing. But ignore all that for 2020, you are off the hook.)

AmyC
Expert Alumni

RMD

@Opus 17 is correct! Form 5329 would have come into play except for 2020 not requiring the RMD.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hol67
Returning Member

RMD

Sorry I forgot one more question about the RMD. Is it income that I have to pay capital gains tax on? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

RMD

No, it is regular income, not capital gains.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

RMD

@Hol67 wrote:

Sorry I forgot one more question about the RMD. Is it income that I have to pay capital gains tax on? 

No.

Do you understand the reason for the RMD?  The IRS or Congress does not want people to be able to amass large tax-deferred accounts and pass them down to their families without ever paying tax.  The RMD requirement is that the owner (after a certain age) must withdraw at least that much money, based on the account balance and their life expectancy, so that someone eventually pays income tax on the account.  In some cases, the RMD requirement passes down to the beneficiary even if the beneficiary is not yet 72-1/2.  You can always withdraw more, if you want to spend the money on something, but you must withdraw at least that much. 

That being said, all withdrawals from a qualified account like an IRA are considered ordinary income.  You don't track what happens inside the account, as to whether the growth is due to price appreciation, dividends or interest.  You just pay ordinary income tax on whatever comes out.  That's a trade-off for the tax-deferred growth.

You could, if you wanted to, withdraw all the money and invest it with a regular stock broker.  You pay all the income tax now, and in the future you would pay taxes yearly on the interest and dividends, but the capital gains would be taxed at a lower rate whenever you sell the shares.  It's a complicated math question that would be more appropriate for a professional financial planner. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies