turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Josephpbg23
Returning Member

Help. IRS has no record of amended form after 6 months

I filed my taxes using TurboTax early February and I messed up. I wanted to go back and fix it but it was too late and it told me I had to do an amended form. So I fixed my mistake and printed out my forms so I could mail them to the Department of Treasury.

Over the last couple months I’ve been checking online and calling the IRS to see how much longer it’ll be but every time I check it says it no record of my return. I’ve check for normal returns and amended returns and still it says it doesn’t have anything from me.

Six months go by and I’m starting to feel like something is wrong.

Can someone please help me and point me in the right direction. I want to call and talk to someone at the IRS but Its all automated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll bet you didn't use a method where you got proof of delivery or used a tracking service.  Resend but this tome make sure address is correct and that you use a method where you can track it or at least get proof of delivery.    

You said "I wanted to go back and fix it".  Was the original federal tax return actually filed and accepted by the IRS? 

Did you e-file the tax return?  If so, was it accepted or rejected by the IRS?  Use this TurboTax website to verify the status of an e-filed tax return - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

If the e-filed tax return was Rejected then you had to correct the error and either e-file again or print the tax return and mail to the IRS.  No amendment would be required.

If the e-filed tax return was Accepted and there were errors or omissions on the original tax return then you would have to Amend the tax return to correct the errors and omissions.  An amended federal tax return can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed to the IRS.  A federal amended tax return can Never be e-filed.

The procedure to amend a tax return originally completed and filed using the online editions is shown in this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2018-turbotax-online-return/01/2...

After the amended return is mailed to the IRS there is a wait time of at least three weeks before the status of the amended return is available on this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

If you attempted to correct the original tax return after being Accepted and e-filed the return then nothing was sent to the IRS.

So, what exactly happened and what did you do?

TomD8
Level 15

And if it turns out that you do have to re-send a Form 1040X, be sure you use the correct mailing address: https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Josephpbg23
Returning Member

I made an error when I first filed it using TurboTax.

I don’t remember if it said it was accepted or declined but I went to correct it and TurboTax said I had to amend it. I did everything it told me to do such as change it, explain why I had to, then print it out and mail it to the correct address.

Let's first check if they got your first original return.  Check here, what does this say?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/   

Josephpbg23
Returning Member

Says no record

If the e-file status look-up website indicates No Record then the tax return was never e-filed.

You can still e-file the tax return by returning to the 2018 online return.

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state.  

This will take you back to the 2018 online tax return.

1. Select File in the left-hand menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or go to the hamburger menu in the top left corner).
  2. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  3. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  4. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  5. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Do they have to undo the amended return?  Or can they efile the new 1040 that the amended return created?

I am still not sure that a Form 1040X was ever created.  Since an amended return cannot be e-filed, if they try to e-file and it is rejected then they have to Cancel the amended return.

Josephpbg23
Returning Member

When I do the “Add a state” option there isn’t a “File” button on my left hand side.

Only “Amend” and “Cancel Amend”

Then first Cancel the Amended return.  Did you print out a 1040X?  Did you mail it?  If you hadn't filed the original return the IRS should have mailed the 1040X back to you.

Josephpbg23
Returning Member

I did print it out and mailed it but received nothing in return. I’ll try canceling it

ScaloPT20

I’m having a similar issue. My 2019 tax return was accepted by the Federal government. I was then told I needed to amend them. I did an amendment and sent it on on 3/24/20. It is now October and when I check on the “check amended status” it says no information available 

@ScaloPT20 wrote:

I’m having a similar issue. My 2019 tax return was accepted by the Federal government. I was then told I needed to amend them. I did an amendment and sent it on on 3/24/20. It is now October and when I check on the “check amended status” it says no information available 

The IRS was not processing any paper tax returns for several months due to the pandemic and limited staffing.  They have only just recently started to process approximately 11 million paper return in the order they were received.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies