turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeast1

FL income from LLC as MA resident

I am a MA resident and made income as a real estate agent in FL this year. It was put into a Florida account for my FL registered S-Corp with the FL address of my S-Corp. 

I am planning on moving to FL by the end of the year.

Is it tax advantageous (or does it not even matter) if I become an FL resident by the year's end so that the FL income is not taxed by MA? Or because I've been a MA resident for more than 180 days of this year, does that mean that amount is rightfully owed to MA regardless?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AdamNe
Employee Tax Expert

Hello @jeast1 !

Thanks for the question. I'm happy to help. 

If you move to Florida and away from Massachusetts permanently during a tax year, you may be able to file a part-year resident return for Massachusetts for that year. You will be liable for any pass-through income (regardless of whether it was earned in FL or MA) for the dates during which you were a resident, and you will be able to allocate the income you earned after the date you moved as non-resident income (meaning it will not be taxed). 

If you were a lawful resident during any period of time in MA during the tax year, there is no way to retroactively change that and prevent your income from being taxed in MA.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AdamNe
Employee Tax Expert

@jeast1 just to clarify,

If you continue to own or keep up a permanent residence in MA, the 183 day rule applies. If you spend more than half your time in MA, you are a full-year resident. 

However, if you give up your residency when you move and no longer own or keep up a permanent residence in MA, you will be considered a part-year resident in the year you move, and a non-resident in future years. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies