Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated Tax Payments

I retired and had W-2 income through February 2021.  I have been drawing Social Security since January 2021.  I have a side business which typically shows a loss.

This year I will have 1099-MISC income from a contract job that I did.  I did not pay estimated taxes since this is my first year of retirement and I anticipate a loss from my business.  Should I make an estimated tax payment before the end of the year or wait and see if I owe any tax when my return is prepared?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
carolineb
Employee Tax Expert

Estimated Tax Payments

Hi Dianeth! Congratulations on your retirement. You have two items which may require estimated tax payments. Firstly, since you had W-2 income for a month before retirement, you may be taxed on a portion of your Social Security benefits based on the amount of your taxable income. You'll be taxed on: up to 50 percent of your benefits if your other taxable income is $25,000 to $34,000 for an individual or $32,000 to $44,000 for a married couple filing jointly, or up to 85 percent of your benefits if your other taxable income is more than $34,000 (individual) or $44,000 (couple).

Secondly, self employment income is subject to both federal income tax and self employment (Social Security and Medicare) taxes. You had stated that you anticipate a loss after deducting business expenses from your self employment income, in which case no estimated payment would be necessary. 

If, after calculating the income above, you determine that you need to make an estimated payment to keep your federal tax liability on your return below $1000, keep in mind that you may also need to make an estimated payment to your state to keep any liability on your state return below $500 (unless you are lucky enough to live in a state with no income tax!)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies