turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Baker2988

Child tax

If my mom doesn't live with us but has provided more than half the support for my daughter due to me loosing my job can she claim her this year since I can't 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
STaxLady
Employee Tax Expert

Child tax

Hello Baker2988,

Thanks for the great question, I am sure this will affect many taxpayers. 

The fact that your mom and daughter did not live together does have an affect on the ability to claim her as a dependent. However, your mom may be able to claim your daughter as a Qualifying Relative. I will include the link to a flow chart that should help in making this determination. Remember, the questions will need to be answered from your mom's perspective. 

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/dependency_exemptions_4012.pdf 

Of course, if you have further questions, you can always reach out to us again here.

Best regards,

STaxLady

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Child tax

For her to claim the child as a qualifying relative then the child cannot be YOUR qualifying child which she is if she lived with you, she is under the age of 19 ( 24 if a college student) and she is not self supporting.  So if you are required to file a return then you must claim the child on your return  and for 2021 you really do want to claim the child ... the CTC and the EIC are more beneficial to you if your income is lower than your mom's. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies