turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Tax Law Effect On Seniors Pension Income

AARP sent out an email saying I should check my withholding amount on pension income due to the new income levels and tax law changes. I tried the IRS calculator but I am confused. I have to pretend my pension income is a job so I did. If I include my SS income too I am way underpaying but not all my SS income is taxable. So do I just include the amount that was taxable last year, since it changes every year according to deductions, variable income, etc., which I guess are not longer allowable?

I figured it two different ways - once without SS income and I would be overpaying and once with it and I would be underpaying so I am hoping the real number is in between.

Has anyone figured this out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Hi LindaLouC-

The simplest way to do this is to look at your prior year tax returns and determine the percentage of your social security that was taxable those years.  Per IRS rules, you will either pay tax on 0% of your social security benefits, 50% of your benefits, or 85% of your benefits.  

If your 2017 tax return shows that 50% of your benefits were taxable, use only half of your 2018 benefits when using the IRS calculator.  If 85% was taxable last year, use 85% of your 2018 benefits.  You may want to check 2016 and 2015 percentages as well, just in case the 2017 tax year was an anomaly.  Best of luck!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, 2017 was an anomaly because I took some money out of an IRA so I will need to go back to 2016 for a normal year. If I remember correctly only about 15% of my SS is normally taxable. I will add in that amount of the new amount of SS income. Thanks.

BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Please double-check that amount, as there is no bracket for 15% being taxable.  If any is taxable, it is either 50% or 85%. 

Could it be that 15% is non-taxable, leaving 85% taxable?  Line 20a of your 1040 form will show your total social security, and 20b will show how much is taxable.  (If you file a 1040A, use lines 14a and 14b.)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies