Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Have not received my refund since it was received feb 29, 2024

The IRS is holding up my refund due to my husband's death.  He pasted away on 12-21-2023.  When I did my taxes since he was alive for the entire year I did not list him as passing away.  In March I mailed in his death certificate and told them I wanted my estimate tax to be filed under my social now.  The IRS received my email form on Feb 29, 2024 for tax year 2023.  In May I started checking online about why I had not received my refund.  Finally I called and was told that due to my husband's death a manual check was going to be sent to me in the next 4 to 6 weeks.  I called again in July and was told the office in Fresno had my paperwork and it was just a matter of time when a check would be cut.  Last week I called again and was told my return had finally been assigned to a person and that I would get a check in 4 to 6 weeks.  However they were really busy and it could take longer.  I asked if I could use the funds to cover this year's taxes and was told NO  If they don't return my refund by the end of the year, I will start to receive interest on my return.  There was no assurance when I would really see my refund.  Is this correct?  I am owed $2,246 and sure could use it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

Firstly, it is NOT a secret that the IRS has a serious backlog. I will strongly encourage you to contact your Local Taxpayer Advocate Group rather than handling this issue on your own as they handle situations like yours ALL THE TIME !!!

Taxpayer Advocate Service 

In addition, if your spouse died in 2023, you can use MARRIED FILING JOINTLY  (as a surviving spouse). You will check the box for deceased and also enter the date of death of your spouse.  2023 is the last year for which you can file jointly with your described spouse.

You may be eligible to use qualifying widow(er) with dependent child as your filing status for tax years 2024 and 2025.  This filing status entitles you to use joint return tax rates and the highest standard deduction amount (if you do not itemize deductions). This status does not entitle you to file a joint return.

Filing a final federal tax return for someone who has died 

** Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

** Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

DashonnonH
Employee Tax Expert

Hi, 

Yes, the IRS can take longer to process your return if they are verifying information for the return.

Yes, if the IRS holds your refund, once released, the IRS will pay interest the amount owed to you.

If you need your refund for financial hardship, Taxpayer advocate services may be able to offer assistance. 

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/get-help/refunds/i-dont-have-my-refund/

Thank you for participating today!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies