Cooltech

Dependent

My daughter graduated from grad school on July 31st. I paid her tuition, room and board. I am claiming her as a dependent. Since graduating she obtained a job starting job n September 2021. If I claim her as a dependent then what does she claim on her taxes?

Donna F 77

Dependent

Your daughter would just need to mark the box that says "Someone can claim you as a dependent."  That will let the software know to adjust your daughter's standard deduction amount to reflect that you are claiming her as a dependent.

Dependent

Was she under the age of 24 in 2021?  If not, will she have gross income of $4,300 or more in 2021?

It makes a difference on her being a dependent based on your answers to the questions.

Donna F 77

Dependent

Thanks for adding this DoninGA!  I was assuming the daughter would qualify as a dependent, but I meant to address that issue.

Cooltech

Dependent

Yes she is 21 years old and has been a student until graduating with her MBA in September 2021