Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't see where major improvements made to sell a rental are added to cost basis

I sold a rental in 2023. I entered major improvements made for the sale (and after the last tenants moved out)  like a new HVAC system and new flooring in the “Your Property Assets” section, which comes up after you select “Sold rental property”? (With information from other answers here, I was able to enter them so that no depreciation would be taken.)

These expenses should be added to my basis to reduce my capital gains, but I can't see where there were added.  Can you tell me where that information appears?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LoraineG
Employee Tax Expert

Can't see where major improvements made to sell a rental are added to cost basis

You should be able to see all the information related to that disposition on form 8949.  If you are using the online version, you will have to go through the checkout process so it allows you to print.  You don't have to e-file immediately, even if you go through the checkout process.  Once you are able to print it, check the generated pdf and look for the form 8949 and confirm that all the information you entered it is showing correctly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't have access to the forms. If I do check out, get access, and print it, and something is wrong, can I go back and make corrections?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies