turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 - NEC

I've entered my information both with the 1099NEC form or as W-2 (at some point, there is a question asking if the income should be entered as W-2)

I notice my refund calculated is much larger when switching to W-2 (more than double)

I am wondering if I am making some error in inputting it as 1099 income, and want to confirm that 1099 NEC should in fact be entered as Self-Employment income? 

Assuming so, is there a reason that if entered as W-2 income, the estimated return is over $3000 more than I entered under Self-Employment? Should entering income as the latter disqualify one from receiving the EITC?

Additionally, when it begins asking me about whether I actually should have received a W-2, I am unclear about the information they use to determine which it should actually be. Can this be clarified?

It seems that if there is a gray area or people are being paid / treated as private contractors when they may more so be considered employees, then arguing this point may not be in a payee's best interest

Thank you for any insight

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

1099 - NEC

W-2 wage income is subject to income tax computed on IRS Form 1040.

The IRS presumes that 1099-NEC income is self-employment income that is subject to:

• Self-employment income computed on Schedule SE, as well as 
  • Income tax computed on IRS Form 1040.

Income on 1099-NEC not reported to the IRS will likely prompt an inquiry from the IRS.

IRS 2022 Instructions for Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC page 7 states:

Specific Instructions for Form 1099-NEC

File Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation, for each person in the course of your business to whom you have paid the following during the year.  At least $600 in: 

• Services performed by someone who is not your employee (including parts and materials) (box 1); or
  • Payments to an attorney (box 1). 

Both self-employment income and wages should meet the income requirement for the Earned Income Tax Credit.

If you are concerned about being treated as a private contractor versus an employee, you may want to explore IRS form SS-8 Determination of Worker Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding.

See also here and post about this process if you have further questions.

[Edited 1/25/2023 | 4:05 pm PST]

@Rachel32 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies