turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1 or 2 child tax credit received

We only received our oldest son's child tax credit. When I look at the tax return, 'Credit for other dependents' is marked for our youngest. I had a tax expert tell me to amend my 2020 return, but through turbo tax online it doesn't let me amend that portion. Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

1 or 2 child tax credit received

I understand on your 2020 tax return the Credit for other dependent box is checked.  You will want to amend your 2020 tax return.

From Tax Home, click on Amend my Return.  Then select update other information on my return, and you will see your My Info.  You will click Edit or the circle with the dots to the right of your youngest dependent that needs to be edited.

You will then go through the interview questions for that dependent.  Check your answers for year of date of birth and also on the screen with the social security number, make sure the box is not marked for not eligible for employment.

Once you have gone through the questions, you should receive the screen that you qualify for the Child Tax Credit.

The amended returns do take up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process.  There is an IRS tool to update dependent information to receive the advance payments for the 2021 Child Tax Credit.  The IRS expects to add this feature to their tool by late summer.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies