Intuit
,Created with Sketch.75 helpful votes

Do I need to file a state extension with TurboTax Live? If so, how do I do this?

Each state is different, so we’ll walk you through your state’s requirements in the state section of TurboTax Live and help you complete any necessary steps to prevent penalties. This includes paying any state taxes you owe, which are still due by April 15, regardless of whether you file a state extension. An extension gives you more time to file your taxes, it doesn’t give you extra time to pay taxes that you owe.

If you lived in a state that didn’t require income tax, you don’t need to file a return for that state.

Follow the steps below to check for extension requirements in your state, file an extension if necessary, and schedule your review (if you haven’t already scheduled one).

1. Select Tax Home in the left menu and then select Take me to my return.
  2. Select State and then Continue.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen, select Edit.
  4. On the next screen, scroll down to Other Situations and select Edit.
  5. On the next screen, scroll down to Other Forms and select Start next to File an Extension. We’ll let you know if an extension is required for your state and help you file one if needed and submit any payment due.

Once you complete your return, if you'd like to get an Expert Review of your return before filing, follow these instructions.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in