To add your casualty or theft losses from a 2018 natural disaster:
- Go to Deductions & Credits.
- Select I’ll Choose What I Want To Work On.
- Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits section.
- Select Start to the right of Casualties and Thefts.
- Answer questions until you get to the Casualty or Theft Event screen.
- Enter Description, Date, and property type.
- From the drop-down list, choose This event does not qualify as a disaster casualty.
- You can now continue and the program will calculate the amount properly.
- I live in a federally declared disaster area, what does that mean for my taxes?
- What if I have property that was lost or damaged (a casualty loss)?
- What if Ive been affected by a natural disaster?
- What tax relief can I get if Ive been affected by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma or Maria?
- How do I Amend (Change or Correct) a 2015 Return in TurboTax?