Where do I enter job-related employee expenses? (F... - Community

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

English Français
Get the latest stimulus news and tax filing updates.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter job-related employee expenses? (Form 2106)

Note: These instructions only apply to 2017 (or earlier) tax year returns. Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017, the unreimbursed employee expenses deduction has been suspended in tax years 2018 through 2025. (There are some exceptions where you can still use Form 2106 through tax year 2025, including if you were an Armed Forces reservist, qualified performing artist, fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses.)

If you’re self-employed or own a business, enter your business-related expenses on Schedule C instead.


Here's how to enter your job-related expenses in TurboTax 2017 or earlier:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if it's not already open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for 2106 and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation, then select Continue.
    • If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen, you can select Add Another Occupation (to add another 2106), Edit (for an existing 2106), or Delete.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your employee expenses.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Privacy Settings