turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to get started on credit score

I have no credit cards and no loans at the moment, part time working a close to minimum paying job, and wanting to start working on my credit. Any recommendations on how I can start? I'm not well educated on how it works, so information on that would be nice as well. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JBJ
Level 3

1. Credit scores are daunting! Totally okay to head scratch with no idea of how to start. 

2. One simple step is outlined in this NerdWallet article: 

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/secured-credit-cards-vs-unsecured-difference/

Specifically from the article, "A secured credit card is backed by a cash deposit you make when you open the account. The deposit is usually equal to your credit limit, so if you deposit $200, you’ll have a $200 limit...  Once the initial deposit is paid, secured cards work just like unsecured ones:

• You can use them wherever credit cards are accepted, including online
  • You can build or rebuild your credit by using the card responsibly and paying your balance on time
  • You incur interest if you carry a balance"

Now, I'm not sure what the minimum balance you can place on a card, and I'm cognizant of money being tight (been there - seriously, nothing is forever beyond, well, that one thing!)... but if $50 is all you've got, and you can place it on a card, start there. It's a good way to begin slowly establishing a credit score.  

Remember Rome, and a great credit score, weren't built overnight... but they were both ultimately built. You can do it! 

View solution in original post

jlohani
Intuit Alumni

Ah, @JBJ , my heart! Nerdwallet? 🙂  I'm kidding... kinda.

@Ana427 - JBJ is right on IMO

We have a great article on Secured Cards on the Mint blog as well if you're looking to do more research on it!  https://blog.mint.com/credit/rebuilding-your-credit-score-a-guide-to-secured-credit-cards/

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JBJ
Level 3

1. Credit scores are daunting! Totally okay to head scratch with no idea of how to start. 

2. One simple step is outlined in this NerdWallet article: 

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/secured-credit-cards-vs-unsecured-difference/

Specifically from the article, "A secured credit card is backed by a cash deposit you make when you open the account. The deposit is usually equal to your credit limit, so if you deposit $200, you’ll have a $200 limit...  Once the initial deposit is paid, secured cards work just like unsecured ones:

• You can use them wherever credit cards are accepted, including online
  • You can build or rebuild your credit by using the card responsibly and paying your balance on time
  • You incur interest if you carry a balance"

Now, I'm not sure what the minimum balance you can place on a card, and I'm cognizant of money being tight (been there - seriously, nothing is forever beyond, well, that one thing!)... but if $50 is all you've got, and you can place it on a card, start there. It's a good way to begin slowly establishing a credit score.  

Remember Rome, and a great credit score, weren't built overnight... but they were both ultimately built. You can do it! 

jlohani
Intuit Alumni

Ah, @JBJ , my heart! Nerdwallet? 🙂  I'm kidding... kinda.

@Ana427 - JBJ is right on IMO

We have a great article on Secured Cards on the Mint blog as well if you're looking to do more research on it!  https://blog.mint.com/credit/rebuilding-your-credit-score-a-guide-to-secured-credit-cards/

Thank you @JBJ and @jlohani ! I appreciate it. Smiley Very Happy

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies