Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Credit Score

If I cancel my credit card, my credit scores is going to get low?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Credit Score

Yes, when you close a credit card account, you lose the available credit limit on that account. ... Another reason closing a credit card can cause your score to drop is that it can lower the average age of accounts on your credit report, especially if it's an account that's been open for a long time.

See the following for more information.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/will-closing-a-credit-card-hurt-your-credit/#:~:text=For...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Credit Score

Yes, when you close a credit card account, you lose the available credit limit on that account. ... Another reason closing a credit card can cause your score to drop is that it can lower the average age of accounts on your credit report, especially if it's an account that's been open for a long time.

See the following for more information.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/will-closing-a-credit-card-hurt-your-credit/#:~:text=For...

Credit Score

In most cases, it will be better for your credit score to keep the account open, paid off, and not used.  However, if you will be paying annual account fees to keep it open, or if you would be at risk of misusing it, then just cancel.   

Credit Score

@DebbieValkyria wrote:

If I cancel my credit card, my credit scores is going to get low?

If you have no use for the account, I would close it without regard to credit score.   The idea that credit score matters is a myth.  Net worth, income, and cash flow are what matter to your financial world.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies