Credit Cards

Hello,

I just realized after doing my taxes, in the credit score report it says in my history-  I had 10 credit cards total (4 closed) 6 open. They all have zero balances but I think it may be affecting my credit score.

I read that you are not supposed to close them, but does that mean i have to keep them open forever? I opened them when I was in college and no longer use 4 out of 6.

Please advise 

JBJ

Credit Cards

Great question. 

One key factor to the credit score is age of credit, so it's important to keep your cards open (bureaus equate, I think, age with stability). 

And, ideally, I think, you'd keep small balances on a bunch (that you pay off each month, or keep low enough not to incur silly interest) as a way of demonstrating your responsibility. 

Which is to say, keep 'em open, use them to buy movie tickets or whatever, and I suspect both (keeping them open and moderately active in a responsible way) will aid in score improvement. 

Thoughts?