Best Credit Cards

Hi everyone --

I started rebuilding credit about 16 months ago after not having any for about ten years.  The first card I got was a secured card through my credit union with a limit of $300 (it is still at this limit).  A month or so later, I applied and was approved for a Capital One card.  The limit started low and is now, because of timely payments, at $2500 (the limit, not the balance).  My wife took out a card in my name at a discount clothing store and I just don't shop there, so I would like to close it.  I'm also thinking of closing the secured card and applying for one more credit card, either through my credit union, bank or through USAA, my car insurance provider. We have a mortgage through Wells Fargo as well, so perhaps they might be an option.

What are your thoughts on this, and, if you think that closing the other two cards would be a good option to help raise my credit score, what card would be the best to apply for?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Best Credit Cards

@Adamian wrote:

You might want to read the information at the link below with respect to closing credit card accounts in an effort to increase your credit score. The site also has some information on a variety of credit cards.

https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/how-to-cancel-credit-card/

Best Credit Cards

Get rid of the Store Credit Card. It does you no good as you can use a VISA/MC/Amx for the same purpose. USAA has a great reputation and generally the lowest interest rates you will find. While it's good to have a primary and backup credit card, make a habit of using only one. Your Credit Union card will not affect your credit rating, perhaps you could use it as a debit card? Otherwise, see if you credit union will switch this out for a debit card so you have 24/7 cash access

Best Credit Cards