turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

enpaine

I have a non reported tax fellowship stipend that is given for living expenses, travel and continuing education, where do I enter this? I have no forms sent to me.

I have a fellowship through ORISE and we do not go to class but "work" at the Wellness center on an U.S. Army base. How do I enter this information in?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I have a non reported tax fellowship stipend that is given for living expenses, travel and continuing education, where do I enter this? I have no forms sent to me.

You should report your fellowship as follows: 

• Go to Federal Taxes>   Wages and Income
  • Scroll to the Less Common Income section and choose Miscellaneous Income (the last choice) 
  • Choose Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099
  •  Answer Yes on the Other Wages Received screen
  • Continue past Wages Earned as a Household Employee and Sick or Disability Pay
  •  Answer Yes on the Any Other Earned Income screen
  •  Choose Other on the Enter Source of Other Earned Income screen
  •   Enter your fellowship information on the Any Other Earned Income screen.

This will report your fellowship on line 7 of your Form 1040, and you will not be subject to Self Employment Tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You should report your fellowship as follows: 

• Go to Federal Taxes>   Wages and Income
  • Scroll to the Less Common Income section and choose Miscellaneous Income (the last choice) 
  • Choose Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099
  •  Answer Yes on the Other Wages Received screen
  • Continue past Wages Earned as a Household Employee and Sick or Disability Pay
  •  Answer Yes on the Any Other Earned Income screen
  •  Choose Other on the Enter Source of Other Earned Income screen
  •   Enter your fellowship information on the Any Other Earned Income screen.

This will report your fellowship on line 7 of your Form 1040, and you will not be subject to Self Employment Tax.

thank you for details related to entering fellowship income.

Can I deduct the living expenses the fellowship was intended for?  This was a 1 yr fellowship which went into 2019 (Jan - Aug), past the calendar year that she was enrolled in higher education (graduated May 2018) and therefore not enrolled in higher education program in the 2019 portion.

Moved into W-2 federal employment at end of fellowship.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If a scholarship is used for living expenses, it is taxable. 

Only when a scholarship is used to pay tuition and fees might it be non-taxable, HOWEVER:

According to the IRS:

"Payment for services. Generally, you can't exclude from your gross income the part of any scholarship or fellowship grant that represents payment for teaching, research, or other services required as a condition for receiving the scholarship. This applies even if all candidates for a degree must perform the services to receive the degree. However, see Exceptions next.

Exceptions. You don't have to treat as payment for services the part of any scholarship or fellowship grant that represents payment for teaching, research, or other services if you receive the amount under:

• The National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program,

• The Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program, or

• A comprehensive student work-learning-service program (as defined in section 448(e) of the Higher Education Act of 1965) operated by a work college (as defined in that section)."

Read more in IRS Pub 970

gregleach_1
Returning Member

I am in this same situation. When I file like this my State return when it asks if I was "employed, retired, or none", only gives me the option to select retired or none even though I was employed.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How did you report your fellowship income?

If you reported your fellowship income as Taxable Scholarship in the Education section, this does not indicate employment.

If you reported it (or part of if) as Other Reportable Income, your state may not recognize this as 'wages' necessarily, since you didn't have Social Security or Medicare tax withheld. 

It should not affect your state return if you choose 'None'.

Click this link for more info on Reporting Internship/Fellowship Income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies