turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a parent I paid student loan interest and loan payment to my non-dependent child, what tax benefit can I expect?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

As a parent I paid student loan interest and loan payment to my non-dependent child, what tax benefit can I expect?

You may claim the student loan interest adjustment to income ("above the line deduction"), of up to $2500, if:

1. You are legally obligated to pay it. That is, you are "on the loan" either as principal or co-signer and

2. The student was your dependent at the time the loans were used to pay tuition and other qualified expenses. 

If you are unable to claim the deduction, your daughter may claim it on her own return, since the payment is essentially a gift from you to her. But, it would be better (to pass IRS scrutiny) if you gave the money to her and let her pay it

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

You may claim the student loan interest adjustment to income ("above the line deduction"), of up to $2500, if:

1. You are legally obligated to pay it. That is, you are "on the loan" either as principal or co-signer and

2. The student was your dependent at the time the loans were used to pay tuition and other qualified expenses. 

If you are unable to claim the deduction, your daughter may claim it on her own return, since the payment is essentially a gift from you to her. But, it would be better (to pass IRS scrutiny) if you gave the money to her and let her pay it

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies