turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johns9n9

My wife's student loans are in default. how will that effect my return if we file jointly. and what would be the proper solution to this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Phillip1

My wife's student loans are in default. how will that effect my return if we file jointly. and what would be the proper solution to this issue?

You can file with the married filing joint filing status, but you should file an injured spouse claim. This will allow you to save a portion of the refund from being levied for your wife's student loan debt.

To qualify as an injured spouse, you must meet the following criteria:

1. Your spouse must be liable for a debt that can be levied from your Federal tax refund. Those debts include tax debts, student loan debts, unpaid child support, state tax debt, or other non-tax federal debts, and;

2. You must have made and reported tax payments, such as federal income tax withheld from wages or estimated tax payments, or;

3. You claimed (or will claim) a refundable tax credit, such as the earned income credit or additional child tax credit on the joint return, and;

4. You are not legally obligated to pay the past-due amount.

To claim this in TurboTax, follow this path in the program:

1. Click the Federal Taxes TAB or Category in TurboTax (called Personal in Home and Business).

2. Click on the Other Tax Situations SubTAB or subcategory.

3. Find the section labeled Other tax Forms

4. Click start or update on the line for Miscellaneous tax forms

5. Click start next to the item for Report an injured or innocent spouse claim.

6. Click yes, then click continue past the innocent spouse section.

There are special rules for community property states. However, TurboTax will guide you through those as you make the entries in the injured spouse section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies