Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgrannell

My Massachusetts T pass (commuter expense) was taken out of my paycheck pre-tax but was not reimbursed. Does this qualify for a commuter deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My Massachusetts T pass (commuter expense) was taken out of my paycheck pre-tax but was not reimbursed. Does this qualify for a commuter deduction?

You already got a tax benefit by having your employer pay for your MBTA pass with pretax money. You can't take another tax benefit on that money by filing for the Mass Commuter Deduction.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/individuals/filing-and-payment-information/guide-to-personal-income-tax/dedu...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You already got a tax benefit by having your employer pay for your MBTA pass with pretax money. You can't take another tax benefit on that money by filing for the Mass Commuter Deduction.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/individuals/filing-and-payment-information/guide-to-personal-income-tax/dedu...

kaycevp94

Hi, I also got an MBTA monthly pass (perq) with pre-tax dollars, but my employer did not pay for the pass. Can I still claim the commuter deduction on my taxes? I haven't been able to find a clear answer. Thanks!

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

If you paid for the pass with pre-tax dollars, you also cannot deduct the commuter deduction as your income was never taxed.  Therefore, you would be getting double tax benefits if you were to take the deduction.  This is not allowed.

MBTA info

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies