turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akfifield

American Opportunity Education Credit

I attended a University right out of high school from Fall 2013- Spring 2017. I claimed the American Opportunity education credit in 2014, 2015, and 2016. Can I claim this credit for my last semester in 2017, making it my fourth and last time even though I technically started school in 2013? In addition, the 1098-T form my university sent me said the amount paid/billed was $0 for 2017. This is not true as my loans and scholarship were applied and paid for the Spring semester in January of 2017. Am I able to fill in whatever amount was paid in January 2017, even though it was likely counted on my 2016 1098-T form and wont match the 2017 1098-T form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
georgesT

American Opportunity Education Credit

Yes , you may claim the credit for 2017 if you were not a graduate student during the school year. 

If the tuition fees for spring semester 2017 was already included in your 2016 1098-T and you claimed it in your 2016 taxes, you cannot claim it again in 2017. However, you may still claim the other qualified expenses (required books and supplies) assuming the scholarship did not cover that.

See the answer to the FAQ for American Opportunity Credit requirements.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5358150

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies