turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tolep8r52

I did not rollover 1099-Q distribution but mailed it to the qualifying college. May I claim as tuition paid because it was not on 1098-T, box 1?

I could not rollover the 529 plan because it was too old, therefore, distribution was sent to me via a check.  I then wrote a check to the qualifying college in the amount distributed from the 529 plan.  It should be noted, I have documentation that payment was credited to college in 07/2016.  

May I claim payment as tuition paid because it was not indicated on box 1 of 1098-T?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I did not rollover 1099-Q distribution but mailed it to the qualifying college. May I claim as tuition paid because it was not on 1098-T, box 1?

Yes, as long as you have a receipt of that payment.

If the school only reported box 2 "Amount billed" you will need to look at your records to see what was paid. Keep a copy with your tax file.

Use the 1098-T as a guide, but the IRS bases the credits and the tax liability on what was paid in 2016. The student school account statement often reports a clearer picture, especially when the school often bills in December for the next year.

For more detailed information, please click the link below:

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Yes, as long as you have a receipt of that payment.

If the school only reported box 2 "Amount billed" you will need to look at your records to see what was paid. Keep a copy with your tax file.

Use the 1098-T as a guide, but the IRS bases the credits and the tax liability on what was paid in 2016. The student school account statement often reports a clearer picture, especially when the school often bills in December for the next year.

For more detailed information, please click the link below:

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies