turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eppajmo

Can I still contribute to oregon 529 college plan now to reduce my taxes for 2016?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Can I still contribute to oregon 529 college plan now to reduce my taxes for 2016?

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

Yes - According to the Oregon College Savings Plan website:

As an Oregon taxpayer, you are eligible for the 2019tax deduction as long as the contribution is made prior to filing your 2019 state tax return or April 15, 2020 whichever comes first.

For 2019, you can subtract up to $4,865 for joint returns or up to $2,435 for all other returns for contributions made to a 529 Oregon College Savings Network account in 2019. If you contribute more than your limit, you can carry forward the remaining contribution not subtracted over the next four years.

Beginning January 1, 2020, the Oregon College Savings Plan is moving to a tax credit.  All Oregon taxpayers are eligible to receive a state income tax credit up to $300 for joint filers and up to $150 for single filers on contributions made to their Oregon College Savings Plan account. The tax credit goes into effect on January 1, 2020, replacing the state income tax deduction, and provides the same maximum credit to all Oregonians who are saving for college, community college, trade school, or any other post-secondary education through the Oregon College Savings Plan.

[Edited | 4/13/2020 | 8:41am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

Yes - According to the Oregon College Savings Plan website:

As an Oregon taxpayer, you are eligible for the 2019tax deduction as long as the contribution is made prior to filing your 2019 state tax return or April 15, 2020 whichever comes first.

For 2019, you can subtract up to $4,865 for joint returns or up to $2,435 for all other returns for contributions made to a 529 Oregon College Savings Network account in 2019. If you contribute more than your limit, you can carry forward the remaining contribution not subtracted over the next four years.

Beginning January 1, 2020, the Oregon College Savings Plan is moving to a tax credit.  All Oregon taxpayers are eligible to receive a state income tax credit up to $300 for joint filers and up to $150 for single filers on contributions made to their Oregon College Savings Plan account. The tax credit goes into effect on January 1, 2020, replacing the state income tax deduction, and provides the same maximum credit to all Oregonians who are saving for college, community college, trade school, or any other post-secondary education through the Oregon College Savings Plan.

[Edited | 4/13/2020 | 8:41am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies