slennon228

Will not let me enter my amount of tuition payments made. It shows $0 and says I submitted it earlier.

SusanY1

It sounds like TurboTax has some data stored for your education expense either from a prior entry or from prior year.  The best way to get this year's data into the program is to edit it following these steps:

To edit Form 1098-T, follow these steps:

1. Login toTurboTax.com.
  2. Click on Tax Home on the left side of the screen.
  3. If prompted, click on Continue where I left off or Take me to my return.
  4. Choose Deductions and Credits from the top of the screen (for some users this may be in the center).
  5. Expand the Education section.
  6. Click on Start (or Revisit).
  7. Proceed through the education section answering all of the additional questions. 
  8. On the Education Summary screen at the end of the section, click Edit/Delete.
  9. Edit your entries.
blakeloyd

The same thing is happening to me - if I click start or revisit on the education expenses, it only lets me work on that section, it does not take me to an education summary screen.

There is also no option to delete, only to edit. 

When I click edit on the Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) section, this is the first screen that pops up:

Screen One.jpg

After clicking continue I'm taken to this page, where my tuition is automatically listed as $0. If I click the hyperlink for Tuition and Enrollment Fees it explains that I've already entered that data - but I haven't  actually been given the opportunity to.

Screen Two.jpg

SusanY1

Since TurboTax has some of your data from the prior year, it is treating it as an item to edit, which will appear at the end of this section.  The best way to get this year's data into the program is to edit it following these steps:

1. Login toTurboTax.com.
  5. Expand the Education section.
  6. Click on Start (or Revisit).
  7. Proceed through the entire education section answering all of the additional questions - you will go through about 8-10 additional screens and then you should reach a summary page.
  9. Edit your entries. 
blakeloyd

EDIT:

I found the summary screen and was able to delete the record and start over - that worked!

Thank you for the explanation and your patience!

SusanY1

Thank you for the additional information.  This is what I would like for you to try next:

1. Click on Tax Tools.
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. When the Tools Center opens, click Delete a form.
  4. Scroll down the list of forms and click delete beside Form 1098-T.
  5. Confirm on the next screen by clicking Delete Form.
  6. Scroll down the list of forms again and click Delete beside Education Tuition and Fees Summary.
  7. Again, confirm on the next screen by clicking Delete Form.

This should clear the section out entirely and let you start fresh.  Let us know!

SusanY1

You're welcome. Thank you for letting us know what worked!