Why am I not getting any college credit I paid for...

ijeoma

Why am I not getting any college credit I paid for my 18 college student whom I am claiming as a dependent

My income is 130 and married filing separate

You cannot get education credits when you file married filing separately.   That is one of the many disadvantages of filing MFS instead of filing a joint return.  Sorry.

ColeenD3

Although there is no one answer since every situation is different, generally filing jointly will give you a bigger refund or less taxes due. When you file separately, your tax rate is higher and you won't be able to claim:

• Student loan interest deduction

On top of that, if you live in the community property states of Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin, you have to deal with community property allocations and adjustments, which adds extra work and complexity to your tax preparation chore.