turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lebcora

Where on Schedule A do I enter tuition for my son's school for learning disabled child?

My son attends a school specializing in learning disabilities.  I have information suggesting the tuition can be claimed as a medical deduction.  Where can I enter that in Schedule A?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Where on Schedule A do I enter tuition for my son's school for learning disabled child?

Under the right conditions, tuition for specialized instruction for a special needs child can be included in Medical Expenses on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.

The IRS provides the following guidance in IRS Pub. 502 Medical and Dental Expenses:

"You can include in medical expenses the cost (tuition, meals, and lodging) of attending a school that furnishes special education to help a child to overcome learning disabilities. For expenses to be deductible, a doctor must recommend that the child attend the school. Overcoming the learning disabilities must be a principal reason for attending the school, and any ordinary education received must be incidental to the special education provided. Special education includes:

• Teaching Braille to a visually impaired person,
  • Teaching lip reading to a hearing disabled person, or

• Giving remedial language training to correct a condition caused by a birth defect."

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Under the right conditions, tuition for specialized instruction for a special needs child can be included in Medical Expenses on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.

The IRS provides the following guidance in IRS Pub. 502 Medical and Dental Expenses:

"You can include in medical expenses the cost (tuition, meals, and lodging) of attending a school that furnishes special education to help a child to overcome learning disabilities. For expenses to be deductible, a doctor must recommend that the child attend the school. Overcoming the learning disabilities must be a principal reason for attending the school, and any ordinary education received must be incidental to the special education provided. Special education includes:

• Teaching Braille to a visually impaired person,
  • Teaching lip reading to a hearing disabled person, or

• Giving remedial language training to correct a condition caused by a birth defect."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies