lebcora

Where on Schedule A do I enter tuition for my son's school for learning disabled child?

My son attends a school specializing in learning disabilities.  I have information suggesting the tuition can be claimed as a medical deduction.  Where can I enter that in Schedule A?

MichaelMc

Under the right conditions, tuition for specialized instruction for a special needs child can be included in Medical Expenses on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.

The IRS provides the following guidance in IRS Pub. 502 Medical and Dental Expenses:

"You can include in medical expenses the cost (tuition, meals, and lodging) of attending a school that furnishes special education to help a child to overcome learning disabilities. For expenses to be deductible, a doctor must recommend that the child attend the school. Overcoming the learning disabilities must be a principal reason for attending the school, and any ordinary education received must be incidental to the special education provided. Special education includes:

• Teaching Braille to a visually impaired person,
  • Teaching lip reading to a hearing disabled person, or

• Giving remedial language training to correct a condition caused by a birth defect."

MichaelMc