Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

confused

Can you receive a AOTC when paying tuition with prepaid tuition and have room and board covered with TAXABLE scholarships? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

confused

To do what you want to do, edit the 1098-T by using the "What if this is not what I paid" link located below Box 1 on the 1098-T screen in TurboTax. 

If you need to go back to the education section, type 1098-T into the search box and click the "Jump to 1098-T".

Click Edit next to the student's name. 

Click Edit next to the name of the school

Continue to the 1098-T screen and click the "What if this is not what I paid to this school" link in blue below Box 1

A drop-down will open (you may need to scroll down to see it) 

Enter the proper amount here and continue

Always CONTINUE through the Education section of the software until you get to the “Maximize My Credit” page. Do this after any entries you make that could affect the education credit, such as a 1099-Q reporting 529 distributions. If you follow the interview step-by-step you’ll be fine, but if you make any entries out of order, you may need to update the “Maximize My Credit” page

Be aware that is may or may not change the credit amount and/or your refund. The credit only uses a certain amount of expenses at which time it maxes out. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

confused

"The payment for prepaid tuiiton for Spring was made in 2019 but 1098-T says it was made in 2019" What does that mean?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

confused

Well you are correct, only what was paid in 2018 should be in Box 1. Are you comparing it to the student's school account statement? Are you accounting for anything that was billed in 2017 but paid in 2018? Are you accounting for scholarships and/or direct distributions to the school?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

confused

Sure, but what are you trying to accomplish?  If you received a 2018 1099-Q, that distribution was made in 2018, right? Are you just trying to make sure you can use the amount next year on your 2019 return? So you want Box 1 to be less?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

confused

Oh, I see. If you adjust Box 1, your 1099-Q will not have expenses to match to it, is that what you want?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

confused

I posted an answer which should help you.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

confused

To do what you want to do, edit the 1098-T by using the "What if this is not what I paid" link located below Box 1 on the 1098-T screen in TurboTax. 

If you need to go back to the education section, type 1098-T into the search box and click the "Jump to 1098-T".

Click Edit next to the student's name. 

Click Edit next to the name of the school

Continue to the 1098-T screen and click the "What if this is not what I paid to this school" link in blue below Box 1

A drop-down will open (you may need to scroll down to see it) 

Enter the proper amount here and continue

Always CONTINUE through the Education section of the software until you get to the “Maximize My Credit” page. Do this after any entries you make that could affect the education credit, such as a 1099-Q reporting 529 distributions. If you follow the interview step-by-step you’ll be fine, but if you make any entries out of order, you may need to update the “Maximize My Credit” page

Be aware that is may or may not change the credit amount and/or your refund. The credit only uses a certain amount of expenses at which time it maxes out. 

confused

thank you- does the box that you put the correction in contain the mandatory fees plus the payments that were received?

confused

some schools are issuing incorrect 1098-T documents. the format has changed.
If so, you have to request a corrected form.
To take a credit in 2018 you must have made payments in calendar year 2018.
Otherwise take it in 2019, you still get four shots for a four year course.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies