turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ciurajake

Went to tractor trailer driving school was told i could claim the cost of the school under work expenses? its it true ? i input the info but didnt see any refund get deducted

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Went to tractor trailer driving school was told i could claim the cost of the school under work expenses? its it true ? i input the info but didnt see any refund get deducted

No, the costs of qualifying for a new occupation are not deductible.

The position of the IRS on this matter appears below, taken from IRS Pub. 529 Miscellaneous Deductions.

"Work-Related Education

You can deduct expenses you have for education, even if the education may lead to a degree, if the education meets at least one of the following two tests.

It maintains or improves skills required in your present work.

It is required by your employer or the law to keep your salary, status, or job, and the requirement serves a business purpose of your employer.

You can't deduct expenses you have for education, even though one or both of the preceding tests are met, if the education:

Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements to qualify you in your trade or business, or

Is part of a program of study that will lead to qualifying you in a new trade or business.

If your education qualifies, you can deduct expenses for tuition, books, supplies, laboratory fees, and similar items, and certain transportation costs.

If the education qualifies you for a new trade or business, you can't deduct the educational expenses even if you don’t intend to enter that trade or business." [Emphasis added]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

No, the costs of qualifying for a new occupation are not deductible.

The position of the IRS on this matter appears below, taken from IRS Pub. 529 Miscellaneous Deductions.

"Work-Related Education

You can deduct expenses you have for education, even if the education may lead to a degree, if the education meets at least one of the following two tests.

It maintains or improves skills required in your present work.

It is required by your employer or the law to keep your salary, status, or job, and the requirement serves a business purpose of your employer.

You can't deduct expenses you have for education, even though one or both of the preceding tests are met, if the education:

Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements to qualify you in your trade or business, or

Is part of a program of study that will lead to qualifying you in a new trade or business.

If your education qualifies, you can deduct expenses for tuition, books, supplies, laboratory fees, and similar items, and certain transportation costs.

If the education qualifies you for a new trade or business, you can't deduct the educational expenses even if you don’t intend to enter that trade or business." [Emphasis added]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies