turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife, cosigner, received a 1098-E for a reduce amount settlement of my sons student loan. Does my wife need to file this on her taxes or only my son or both?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

My wife, cosigner, received a 1098-E for a reduce amount settlement of my sons student loan. Does my wife need to file this on her taxes or only my son or both?

You wife should file the form 1098-E. Only the person who is making the payments needs to report the Form 1098-E as this could be a deduction for them for the Student Loan Interest paid. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

we owed 17 they settled for11 they are adding 6 to our income. Does my son claim it  or wife?
LeeM

You wife should file the form 1098-E. Only the person who is making the payments needs to report the Form 1098-E as this could be a deduction for them for the Student Loan Interest paid. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies