turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paokara

Is my son considered a full time student for tax purposes in 2015?

He studied full time in college the first half of 2015. He worked as an intern abroad for the second half of 2015. Box 8 of his 1098-T is marked. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Heather14

Is my son considered a full time student for tax purposes in 2015?

There are different situations where you may be asked about your student enrollment status while working in TurboTax. Depending upon which area of the return that you are in, the definition will be slightly different, per the IRS rules:

1) Qualifying Child/Dependent status - For which, according to the IRS, an eligible full-time student is under the age of 24 and full-time student for at least five months of the year.

2) Educational credits - For education credits, in most instances, according to the IRS, a student is considered to be half-time or more if they carried at least one-half the normal full-time workload. He or she only needs to be half-time for one academic period that began during 2015 (or the first 3 months of 2016 if the qualified expenses were paid in 2015).

If you're not sure about your enrollment status, Box 8 of your Form 1098-T will tell you whether you were at least half-time for your course of study.

I am including a link from the IRS to determine eligibility for educational credits below:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Am-I-Eligible-to-Claim-an-Education-Credit%3F

See TurboTax article on Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies