turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kelleyed

The student loan interest that I entered on my federal tax return is from graduate school. On my state tax return, it auto-populated as "undergraduate interest paid" and I'm unable to move it to the "graduate interest paid" box. Does that matter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

The student loan interest that I entered on my federal tax return is from graduate school. On my state tax return, it auto-populated as "undergraduate interest paid" and I'm unable to move it to the "graduate interest paid" box. Does that matter?

A turbotax associate just helped me thru this exact question. For me, the undergraduate box was pre-populated, but greyed out so that I couldn't delete it. Go ahead and enter that same interest value in the graduate box, click continue to the next screen, and it should delete the undergraduate portion automatically for you. There wasn't an actual question to specify graduate vs. undergraduate; you just enter the value and let the system populate for you. Depending on your state it does matter which you choose. For me, if it was undergraduate I would have received a credit, but graduate did not receive any credit amount. Hope this helps. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies