Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The scholarship reported on my 2017 1098-T went toward expenses reported on my 2016 1098-T. How do I account for this?

I graduated from college in May 2017. Before this year, my parents always claimed me as a dependent and reported my 1098-T forms on their tax return. This year, I do not qualify as a dependent, so I have to report my 2017 1098-T form on my tax return. In the form, there are no amounts listed in boxes 1 or 2. That is because my 2016 1098-T included my Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 expenses. The school reports expenses based on when they billed, not when they were paid. However, scholarships are reported based on when they are disbursed (paid). Therefore, my 2017 1098-T form does include a scholarship of $4,680 because it went towards my Spring 2017 semester expenses. For reference, my 2016 1098-T form reported an amount billed of $45,000 and a scholarship received of $11,000 (this was the scholarship amount that went toward my Spring 2016 and Fall 2016 semesters). My parents received an education credit on their 2016 return for the qualified expenses reported on my 2016 1098-T form.

If I report the scholarship as listed on my 2017 1098-T form, my tax refund decreases significantly. However, on TurboTax there is an option to indicate that a scholarship went towards expenses reported in a previous year. I selected this option and noted that the entire $4,680 went towards expenses reported in 2016. This neutralized the effect on my tax refund. However, I'm confused by a comment in the "learn more" section for this step: 

"You may also need to recapture any education credit or deduction taken in 2016 that would have been disallowed in 2016 due to the additional $4,000 of scholarship income allocable to 2016 education expenses."

My questions are as follows: 1) The comment says I "may" need to do this. How do I know if I have to? 2) How does one "recapture" a credit from a previous year? 3) If a credit needs to be "recaptured," how would that work, given that my parents received the previous year's credit?

I have seen similar questions to mine, but none that match my circumstances. The generic answer with the diagram that has been provided to other people does not apply to my situation. I'd really appreciated some unique advice. Thank you. 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

The scholarship reported on my 2017 1098-T went toward expenses reported on my 2016 1098-T. How do I account for this?

Since you didn't receive the education credit in 2016, you would not have to file an amended return.

Your parents could open TurboTax for 2016 and add your $4000 scholarship to see if it changes their refund.  If so, they could amend their 2016 return to repay the extra credit received.

This is what is meant by 'recapture the credit'.  In other words, they got a credit in 2016 that they may not have qualified for if the Scholarship amount shown on your 2017 1098-T had been entered in 2016, as you indicate it belongs to (screenshot).

Edited 3/25/18 5:48 pm

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where in TurboTax is this option to note that the scholarship was for expenses reported in a previous year?

Where in TurboTax is the option to note that the scholarship was for expenses in a previous year?

I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was somewhere in the 1098-T section. And if you clicked on the little question mark, you get additional information and an example.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies