The American Opportunity tax credit

The American Opportunity tax credit

Im trying to figure out how the American Opportunity tax credit is displayed for my 2019 taxes. I don't know if I claimed it and I have my previous 2018 tax return and a pervious post said to look on the 1040 file on lines 50 or 68 or 33 and 44. I didn't see it on the 1040 file but I did find those lines on the 1040 worksheet and it didn't say anything on lines 68, 33, or 44. However it does say on line 50, 0. Does this mean I've claimed 0 years of the American opportunity tax credit? 

The American Opportunity tax credit

i don't know what worksheet you are looking at but the 2019 1040 worksheets do not have lines 68,33,44, or line 50. if you are looking at the 2018 1040 WKT, it is not the same as 2019.

The refundable portion of your American opportunity credit will be on line 18C of your 2019 1040 Worksheet.  Also a non-refundable portion may appear in Schedule 3 Part 1 line 3.

if you don't have access to your 2019 forms yet, check tax tools>tools>delete a form. Check to see if you have form 8863 as a form listed in your return. If you do, it is an indicator that you you received an education credit. Also, after you entered all of education expenses, Turbo Tax will let you know which education credit you qualify for before you exit that section of your return.

The American Opportunity tax credit

Where would the tax tools tab be under?

The American Opportunity tax credit

Tax Tools is in the left hand menu for TurboTax Online versions.  If you have a desktop version just click over to "forms" view in the upper right of your page and see if form 8863 is listed in the popup menu.