turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How will I know if my federal tax return will be taken because I owe student loans ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

How will I know if my federal tax return will be taken because I owe student loans ?

The agency should send you a notice/letter about your debt and provide you with opportunities to resolve or dispute your debt.

In most cases, your name can be sent to the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) if your debt is more than 90 days delinquent. You can contact the agency that your debt is with, to determine if your debt was submitted for a tax refund offset.

You may call the Department of Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) TOP call center. Click here for the telephone number.  They're available Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

• Contact the IRS, only if your original refund amount shown on the BFS offset notice differs from the refund amount shown on your tax return. Click here for the IRS phone number.

Additional information:

[Edited 3-10-2020|7:26 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

The agency should send you a notice/letter about your debt and provide you with opportunities to resolve or dispute your debt.

In most cases, your name can be sent to the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) if your debt is more than 90 days delinquent. You can contact the agency that your debt is with, to determine if your debt was submitted for a tax refund offset.

You may call the Department of Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) TOP call center. Click here for the telephone number.  They're available Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

• Contact the IRS, only if your original refund amount shown on the BFS offset notice differs from the refund amount shown on your tax return. Click here for the IRS phone number.

Additional information:

[Edited 3-10-2020|7:26 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies