turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student loan interest

Hi,  I'm confused regarding form 1098E.  If I am in a repayment plan that qualifies for the public service loan forgiveness program and plan to complete that program, am I allowed to add my interest paid from 1098E to my deductions?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Student loan interest

Yes, you can still take the student loan interest deduction.  As long as there is still interest being paid on your payments, then you can include that interest as a deduction even though you intend to complete the public service loan forgiveness program.

The one caveat is that you cannot deduct interest you paid on a loan to the extent payments were made through your participation in the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program (the “NHSC Loan Repayment Program”) or certain other loan repayment assistance programs (but ones that are related to certain health services programs - you can see the full description at the link here).  These are not the same programs as the public service loan forgiveness program where you work for 10 years at a non-profit or government job.  So, assuming you are completing the public service program, you can still include your student loan interest.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Student loan interest

Yes, you can still take the student loan interest deduction.  As long as there is still interest being paid on your payments, then you can include that interest as a deduction even though you intend to complete the public service loan forgiveness program.

The one caveat is that you cannot deduct interest you paid on a loan to the extent payments were made through your participation in the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program (the “NHSC Loan Repayment Program”) or certain other loan repayment assistance programs (but ones that are related to certain health services programs - you can see the full description at the link here).  These are not the same programs as the public service loan forgiveness program where you work for 10 years at a non-profit or government job.  So, assuming you are completing the public service program, you can still include your student loan interest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies