turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

539stech

I didn't qualify for the student loan interest deduction on my federal return, based on my income, my question is this..can I get the student loan credit on my MN return?

I am currently paying a student loan for my son which is in my name, when filing my STATE return, it instructs you to " enter the amount paid towards qualified student loans in 2017", including payments made towards principal and interest. I understand this as the total amount of all the payments towards the loan I made in 2017, Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I didn't qualify for the student loan interest deduction on my federal return, based on my income, my question is this..can I get the student loan credit on my MN return?

Yes, beginning in tax year 2017, Minnesota residents who make payments on their own postsecondary education loans may qualify for a nonrefundable credit. You may qualify if you are a full-year or part-year Minnesota resident who makes payments on your own qualifying education loans during the tax year.

The credit amount depends on your income, loan payments, and original loan amount. The maximum credit is $500 each year or $1,000 for married couples who file a joint return (if both spouses made payments on qualified loans).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
539stech

sounds like the key words here are "YOUR OWN", I'm trying to clarify if I can get the credit even though i'm paying the loan which was for my son going to school, the loan is in my name
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies