Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Son out of state at school and has W-2

My son and I are Michigan residents, but he went to school in California for 2018, and I have 2 W-2's from California.  Do I need to file state taxes in CA or Michigan?

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Son out of state at school and has W-2

Yes, you will have to file both.  

You have California source income.

You must file a Michigan return if you file a federal return or your income exceeds your Michigan exemption allowance. A return must be filed even if you do not owe Michigan tax.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies