turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgirl

Son dropped course paid for with scholarship. I had to pay the scholarship (FL bright futures) back. Where do I enter this amount?

I paid the amount directly to the school which they in turn paid to FL Bright Futures.  I want to be able to claim it as an education expense, just don't know where to add it since I cannot adjust the tuition line item which has 1098T in.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Son dropped course paid for with scholarship. I had to pay the scholarship (FL bright futures) back. Where do I enter this amount?

The repayment of a scholarship is not a qualified education expense and is not tax deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

The 1098-T is only any informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return.  You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T. 

At the 1098-T screen, change the numbers to whatever you need to meet your records.   It sounds like you just need to change box 5 to 0 (or leave it blank).  You, not scholarships, effectively paid the tuition.

Alternatively, in the 1098-T screen, click on the link "What if this is not what I paid the school" underneath box 1. You will then be able to enter the total actual amounts paid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies