leekiser99

So I enrolled in college the fall of 2017 and broke my femur.i had to withdrawal. i still paid full tuition for that semester. does that count for anything

KiaraE

Yes, you may be able to deduct under qualified education expenses this amount unless:

• your filing status is married filing separately;
  • another person can claim an exemption for you as a dependent on his or her tax return;
  • your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is more than $80,000 ($160,000 if filing a joint return);
  • you were a nonresident alien for any part of the year and did not elect to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes; or
  • an education credit is claimed for expenses of the student for whom the qualified education expenses were paid.

The tuition and fees deduction can reduce the amount of your income subject to tax by up to $4,000.

From: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/tuition-and-fees-deduction-at-a-glance

Your school should still send you a 1098-T with the information that you need in order to put it in the correct portion of your return. 

KiaraE