turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will Turbotax be updating 2018 software given the recent law change that retroactively reinstated some tax extenders (i.e. Tuition and Fees Deduction)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

Will Turbotax be updating 2018 software given the recent law change that retroactively reinstated some tax extenders (i.e. Tuition and Fees Deduction)?

Yes, TurboTax is always up-to-date with all the changes to the tax laws. If there is a form that is not available yet, TurboTax will let you know. Please see this TurboTax article for more information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just to be clear though...the change I am looking for is the ability to amend my 2018 taxes for the Tuition and Fees Deduction that was reinstated with the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019.  My understanding is that I can go back and amend my 2018 return.

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  TurboTax has been updated to reflect the qualified tuition deduction extender that was part of the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019.

When I try to amend my tax return, it says the form for the Tuition and Fees Deduction is not available.

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Because of all the changes on the 2019 tax forms, the programmers have informed us that the 2018 Desktop software will be updated later this tax season for the extenders that were signed into law on December 20, 2019. Their priority is focused on getting the 2019 tax forms ready and updated.

Not a problem at all!  I just wanted to verify.

Thanks!

Is there a way TurboTax can notify me when the 2018 forms have been updated so I can Amend for PMI deduction? Or will I have to check back every week to see?

Thanks!! 

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, there is not a way to notify you. As KAlehnhardt2 stated in the above message, these changes will be updated as soon as possible. The programmers are focused on getting the 2019 tax forms ready and updated. Please check back at the end of February.  

FWIW as of 2-17-2020 not yet updated.

@amf50 wrote:

FWIW as of 2-17-2020 not yet updated.

Tax software preparation companies cannot update the 2018 forms and schedules until the IRS has updated the 2018 forms and schedules.  Then have the tax software changes for 2018 approved by the IRS.  It will be several months before any changes to the 2018 program will be available.

IRS has already updated Form 8917. See their website. However, TurboTax has yet to update their 2018 software for the extension. They HAVE updated 2019 software. I just used it to claim the deduction for my daughter for 2019. Waiting to amend 2018.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies