turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did I not get a Tuition and Fees Deduction when nothing in the "Why didn't I get this?" applies to me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Why did I not get a Tuition and Fees Deduction when nothing in the "Why didn't I get this?" applies to me

If you are eligible, you have answered  something wrong, in the interview. But, a lot of people are just not eligible. See  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8917.pdf

You cannot claim a credit if you are, or can be, claimed as a dependent by someone else.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Please refer to the following link to IRS Publication 970 for additional information:

IRS Publication 970

To get a credit for education expenses, you have to pay tuition or related costs for yourself, your spouse, or a dependent on your return. If you paid tuition or other education expenses for someone who's claimed on another person's return, you won't qualify.

Here are other common reasons you might not qualify:

• You're filing your return as Married Filing Separately.
  • Your adjusted gross income (AGI) is too high.
    • American Opportunity Tax Credit AGI limit is $90,000 ($180,000 for joint returns).
    • Lifetime Learning Credit AGI limit is $69,000 ($138,000 for joint returns).
  • Your expenses were paid with tax-free scholarships, fellowships, grants, education savings account funds, tax-free savings bond interest, or employer-provided education assistance.

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies